Monday, August 20, 2012

I like big buttes and I cannot lie

In our last few days before school starts, we've ventured out a bit, both in terms of necessity (Lewiston, ID & Clarkston,WA for the nearest Home Depot & Costco) as well as for entertainment and adventure. 

One sunny afternoon -- we've had nothing but, it has not rained a drop since we moved here --
we drove to Kamiak Butte, a county park about 10 miles away. There's many buttes to explore out here, and while the kids never stop giggling about this, let me clarify is it pronounced BEE-YOOT.

At Kamiak Butte (tee-hee) there's a beautiful picnic area among evergreen trees, a playground and campground, plus a 3 mile hike that takes you to the top of the butte for some spectacular views of the area. I'll have to return to the top with my camera for sure, but we did have a few snaps from the car:













That's the butte up there with all the trees
Are these huckleberries? No, I think not.
 It's so interesting to see the different vegetation out here. I keep looking at trees, shrubs, plants, thinking or asking myself  "what is that?" or "I wonder if I can eat those berries?"

Possibly I have been asking this aloud a time too many because I got two beautiful books about Northwestern plants and trees for my birthday! Still a little leery about trying strange berries yet.


Baby Got Back
You can tell within just the past week that the town is coming back to life as some 20,000 students move back in. While it means a longer line at the grocery or coffee shop, it also adds a welcome energy to the town and campus, and reminds us of one of the reasons we came out here - for WSU. Go Cougs!  Did I mention that Welcome Week features a concert by Sir Mix-A-Lot? Yep.

More about Pullman's other claim to fame in our next post: the Lentil Festival!




No comments:

Post a Comment